Choosing a cashback credit card is a big decision, and you have hundreds of options, including the Simon® American Express® Credit Card from Cardless.
American Express is only accepted in some places, and this card has particular ways to earn cash back. So check out this Simon® Credit Card review to determine if it’s right for you.
*American Express is a registered trademark of American Express and is used by the issuer pursuant to a license.
Simon® Credit Card: Overview
The Simon® Credit Card is a rewards credit card created from a partnership between Simon, a real estate investment trust, and Cardless, a fintech company.
The rewards credit card rewards you for shopping at Simon-related properties and participating retailers and even offers small rewards on all other purchases.
This Simon® Credit Card review discusses the card’s features, pros and cons, and how to apply*.
*Terms apply. Issued by First Electronic Bank, Member FDIC. Offers are subject to change & credit approval. See cardless.com/simon for more.
Simon® Credit Card: Features
Many reward credit cards offer exceptional rewards, but each has different features. Here’s what you can expect from the Simon® Credit Card.
The Simon® Credit Card offers incredible rewards, including:
- 5% off participating retailers: Shop in person or online at participating retailers and earn 5% cashback on your purchases.
- 3% at Simon Malls, Mills, or Premium Outlets: Members will receive up to 3% back in redeemable statement credits on all eligible purchases made with retailers at Simon Malls, Mills, or Premium Outlets locations in the U.S.
- 1% on all other eligible purchases: The Simon® Credit Card pays 1% on all purchases that don’t fall within the above categories or when you’ve reached the annual spending limit of $10,000 in the 3% and 5% cashback categories.
Cardholders can also earn 10% back on select gift cards purchased through the Cardless app.
Keep in mind that not all stores accept American Express, and any rewards you receive are redeemed as a statement credit.
Pros and Cons
Here are the pros and cons to consider:
- High cashback rewards: If you shop at Simon malls or properties often, you can earn 5% back at participating retailers within Simon properties and 1% on all other eligible purchases.
- 10% back on select gift cards: If you purchase your gift cards through the Cardless app, you can earn 10% cashback on gift cards from participating retailers.
- Instant use: Upon approval, you get access to a digital Simon AMEX that you can link to your mobile wallet and earn 5% cashback.
- $10,000 spending limit: After you reach the $10,000 annual spending limit, your cashback percentage falls to 1%.
- 5% cashback is limited: You only get 5% cashback from participating Simon retailers. This varies by location, and not all retailers participate.
- Low ‘everything else’ bonus: After reaching your limit or shopping outside of the Simon properties, the cashback rewards are low at 1%.
- No warranty on purchases: Some credit cards provide an extended warranty on purchases made with a credit card, but the Simon® Credit Card doesn’t.
Rates and Fees
A Simon® Credit Card review wouldn’t be complete without discussing the credit card rates and fees.
The good news is there is no annual fee! There also isn’t a foreign transaction fee. In fact, the Simon® Credit Card doesn’t charge late fees or over-the-credit limit fees.
As far as rates, they are par for the course for most credit cards, with rates starting at 21.24% and up to 31.24%. Your exact rate depends on your qualifying factors.
Eligibility & Application Process
The Simon® Credit Card application process is like any other card. The application process is online, and you can have an answer instantly.
You can apply for the Simon® Credit Card on the Cardless website. You’ll need basic information, such as your personal identifying information, Social Security number, date of birth, and income.
The two most commonly compared credit cards to the Simon® Credit Cards are the Chase Freedom Unlimited and Citi Double Cash card.
Both rewards credit cards pay cashback for your purchases but with different requirements.
- Chase Freedom Unlimited: The Chase Freedom Unlimited card offers a $200 bonus after spending only $500 in three months. It also pays 5% cash back on travel and 3% on dining, takeout and drugstore purchases. You also earn 1.5% back on everything else, which is higher than the ‘everything else’ percentage the Simon® Credit Card pays.
- Citi Double Cash Card: The Citi Double Cash card pays 1% cashback on all categories, which isn’t a ton, but there’s no annual spending limit or categories to track. You also get 1% cashback when you pay the balance, giving you 2% back without anything to track. The card also has a 0% APR for 18 months on balance transfers and no annual fee.
Frequently Asked Questions
Curious about the Simon® Credit Card? Here are some more common questions.
Who Is the Simon® Credit Card Best For?
The Simon® Credit Card isn’t for anyone looking to carry a balance. However, if you have a Simon mall near you, you can get up to 5% cash back on your purchases at participating stores or 1% on all other eligible purchases.
Remember, if you spend over $10,000 a year, your cashback percentage drops to 1%, which is next to nothing compared to other cards, so you may want to limit it to the first $10,000 you spend annually.
Is Simon® Credit Card Worth It?
The Simon® Credit Card is only worth it if you shop at Simon stores frequently. If you live near a Simon mall and happen to shop at the stores that pay 5% back, it’s well worth it. Otherwise, you may be better off with other cards.
What Credit Score Range Is Typically Required To Qualify for This Card?
American Express credit cards notoriously prefer higher credit scores, so a score of 700 or higher is best. However, you may qualify with a 680+ if you have other good qualifying factors.
Can I Use the Simon® Credit Card Outside of Simon Properties?
You can use the Simon® Credit Card wherever American Express is accepted. However, you’ll earn a lower cashback percentage of 1% on all other eligible purchases.
Are There Any Foreign Transaction Fees Associated With This Card?
Fortunately, the Simon® Credit Card does not charge any foreign transaction fees.
Are There Any Restrictions on Where the Simon® Credit Card Can Be Used?
You can use the Simon® Credit Card outside the United States. You’ll earn 1% on qualifying purchases or 1.5% if you pay with your mobile wallet.
What Is the Process for Requesting a Credit Limit Increase, and Are There Any Specific Requirements for Eligibility?
Call the number on the back of your card to request a credit limit increase on your AMEX. You’ll speak to a customer service representative who will ask questions about your liabilities to determine your qualifications.